Collecting and Using Your Information
Your privacy and the protection of your data are primary concerns at DaveTheWineMerchant.com. So we've outlined here the essential practices we use to protect you and your data.
In the following sections we use the term "Personal Information" to mean any personally addressable information (name, address, email address, phone number, fax number and payment information). This term is distinct from "User Information", which identifies an anonymous machine or visitor.
Our trade practices impact your Personal Information in the following way:
- We will not sell, trade, barter or otherwise share your Personal Information with any other entity for marketing purposes.
- Email announcement to all subscribers
- Posting a notice on the DaveTheWineMerchant.com (DTWM) homepage for a period of 30 days, and
- Posting the new policy on the site to replace this policy.
- We will share your Personal Information with shipping companies as required for the successful delivery of selected items, but they do not possess the right to use that information for future marketing purposes.
- We will send email messages consisting of commercial messages and other wine-related items to the voluntary subscribers of our email newsletter. Subscriptions can be discontinued at any time by either clicking on the automated link at the end of each email or contacting info@DaveTheWineMerchant.com with your request.
- Those subscribing to one of our ongoing series of wine shipments will have their Personal Information stored on a secure server using current encryption and security protections. Subscribers will have access to their information via a username and password, but must contact us via phone (415-378-4713) or email (clubs@DaveTheWineMerchant.com) to discontinue their subscription.
Our trade practices impact your User Information in the following way:
- Cookies may be used to store Personal Information that improves your shopping experience, such as usernames or the details on an order you had to leave before completing it.
- Certain anonymous cookie information may be shared with proprietary tracking tools such as those from Google.
- We may use affiliate sites as a source for new customers, and may compensate them for this service. When this occurs DTWM will not share any Personal Information with the affiliate, though the affiliate may use their own tracking methodology to verify the integrity of our compensation calculations.
The Rights & Privileges of Registered Users
No registration is required in order to use this website, though a user must create an account prior to completing a purchase if they choose to have DTWM save their Personal Information for future use. This information is necessary in order for us to contact users about services on our site for which they have expressed interest. Registered users benefit from our system's internal "memory", allowing them to save billing addresses, multiple shipping addresses, and payment information.
Our Ordering Process
The DaveTheWineMerchant.com ordering process requests data from users including: Contact information such as name and shipping address; financial information such as credit card number, expiration date, billing address, and billing phone number. The individual is also required to state that they are over the legal age for purchasing alcohol. This information is used for billing purposes and to fill customers' orders. If we encounter difficulty when processing an order, this contact information is used to contact the user. This information is stored in a secure area and encrypted for our customers' protection.
We collect contact information for gift recipients to ensure correct gift delivery. We do not sell or rent any contact information for gift recipients, but may send offers about new features, new services and special offers we think the recipient will find valuable. We may also send offers to gift recipients on behalf of reputable businesses. As with all our customers, we allow gift recipients to opt out of future mailings.
Despite the fact that many believe cookies do not go well with wine, we think they complement each other very well in the technology sense. A cookie is data stored on the hard drive of a visitor to our site. A cookie contains information relating directly to a visit to a web site. In our case, it is used to store a unique session identifier, which allows us to maintain shopping cart information from one page to the next, and to maintain information from one visit to the next. If a user who rejects our cookie may still browse our site but may not be able to execute a purchase. Such visitors may find it more convenient to order from us via phone or fax.
As with cookies, these files are completely anonymous and we analyze them only to gather aggregate user information about our site at the end of each month. We use log files to analyze trends, administer the site and to track users' movement through our site. Log files are not linked to personally identifiable information.
"Community" Section Content
DTWM may host pages that allow visitors to post their own content. Such information and opinions are not those of DTWM and DTWM makes no representations or warranties regarding the accuracy of any posting. DTWM assumes no obligation to monitor the postings, but does reserve the right to review and edit a posting and to eliminate contributions deemed illegal, inappropriate or boring.
By using this area of the DTWM website, visitors agree not to submit any content which:
- Libels, defames, invades privacy, or is obscene, pornographic, abusive or threatening.
- Infringes any intellectual property or other right of any entity or person
- Is a commercial message taking visitors off the DTWM website
- Violates any law
- Advocates illegal activity
- Advertises or solicits funds, goods or services
By using the community section of the DTWM site, you agree to indemnify DTWM from and against any and all third party claims, demands, liabilities, costs or expenses, including attorney fees, resulting from your breach of any of the foregoing agreements, representations and warranties.
Limited Information Sharing
DaveTheWineMerchant.com may share aggregated demographic information with its partners and advertisers. This is not linked to any personal information that can identify any individual person.
We use an outside shipping company to ship orders, and a credit card processing company to bill users for goods and services. These companies do not retain, share, store or use personally identifiable information for any secondary purposes.
We value your privacy at DaveTheWineMerchant.com, and will never release any account information to anyone outside of the necessary core groups that help our business function. Though we can not currently envision the need to do so, we would never do so unless our customers first grant us the authority to do so.
We reserve the right to disclose your personally identifiable information as required by law and when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights and/or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process served on our Web site.
This web site contains links to other sites. Please be aware that DaveTheWineMerchant.com is not responsible for the privacy practices of other sites. We encourage our visitors to be aware that clicking on these links takes them off our site, and that they are no longer operating under our privacy agreement. This privacy statement applies solely to information collected by this Web site.
Surveys & Contests
Our site may request information from users via surveys and contests. Participation in surveys and contests is voluntary. Information requested may include contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as ZIP code and age level). Contact information will be used to notify the winners and award prizes. This information may be used for marketing opportunities by DaveTheWineMerchant.com unless otherwise specified by the registrant at the time of participation.
Whenever users are asked to enter sensitive Personal Information (such as credit card number and/or social security number), that information is encrypted with the best encryption software in the industry - SSL (Secure Socket Layers).
We also protect user data offline by restricting access to sensitive Personal Information to a limited number of customer service personnel under our supervision. The servers with personally identifiable information are stored in a locked and secure environment maintained by one of the largest internet shopping cart companies operating a high-security facility.
Changing Your Personal Info
You can add new information and update credit cards if you have created an account within our secure shopping cart, by logging into that account, and then changing the information you have on file. For assistance with this or other shopping cart features, contact us at 415-378-4713.
Fair Credit Billing Act
Under the Fair Credit Billing Act, your bank cannot hold you liable for more than $50.00 of fraudulent charges. In the event of unauthorized use of your credit card, you must notify your credit card provider in accordance with its reporting rules and procedures.
The Privacy Notice posted on this site was updated on March 13, 2009.